- Definitions and Guidelines for Discipline (ELCA, revised April 2021)
- An ELCA Strategy for responding to sexual abuse in the church: A resource of shared learning of synods, seminaries, congregations, colleges, social ministry organizations and the churchwide expression.
- Safe Connections: A resource from the ELCA to help parishioners understand and prevent clergy sexual abuse.
- Healing in Congregations After Clergy Sexual Abuse: A resource from the ELCA to assist synodical leaders and local congregations after an incidence of clergy sexual abuse.
- Flowchart for Receiving Reports of Sexual Misconduct: To help congregations navigate the reporting process.
- Sample Policy for Misconduct Reporting: A document for congregations to use in developing their own policy.
- Sample Policy Guidance for Congregations: A document for congregations to use in developing guidelines for preventing and responding to sexual misconduct.
- Reporting Misconduct Flyer Template: A document for congregations to edit and hang in their churches.
- Action Steps for Congregations to Prevent and Address Sexual Misconduct
Cherish All Children Cherish All Children is a service of Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota that equips congregations to prevent child sexual exploitation both within and beyond the congregation. Its website has a wide variety of helpful resources including templates for safe church policies, curricula and conversation starters, prayer booklets, books and more.
Safe Sanctuaries: Reducing the Risk of Child Abuse in the Church by Joy Thornburg Melton
This 80-page book provides guidance to help develop policies and procedures for reducing the risk of child abuse in the church. The book defines the scope of child abuse, outlines the different types of abuse, notes the indicators of abuse, discusses the legal requirements for reporting abuse, and provides guidelines for screening and hiring workers and volunteers. The book also outlines basic procedures of safe ministry with children and youth and outlines a congregational plan for responding to allegations of abuse. Sample forms and training sessions and an extensive bibliography are included. This book can be purchased from Amazon or Bookshop.org.
Saint Paul Area Synod Office
105 W. University Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55103-2094
ELCA Churchwide Office
Prevention of Sexual Misconduct
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
8765 West Higgins Road
Chicago, IL 60631-4101