Children, Youth, and Family (CYF) Ministry in this synod is led by the Minneapolis Area Synod and Saint Paul Area Synod Children, Youth, & Family Team. The mission of the CYF Team is to support, encourage, enhance, and develop children, youth, and family ministries as they effectively share the good news of Jesus Christ.
The CYF Team exists as a resource for congregations, as well as CYFM workers and volunteers. Whether you are just beginning an intentional CYF ministry, or if your congregation already has a robust program, the CYF Team is here to connect with and support you. This is done throughout the year with a number of events, learning opportunities, and meet-and-greets, as well as being a resource for all things CYF.
Connect With Us!
Whether you're paid staff working full-time, part-time or are a volunteer, the CYF Team wants to connect with you!
The CYF Team hosts or sponsors five regular events throughout the year. Specific details about these events appear on the calendar page of our website as the event draws nearer.
- Welcome Event: The Welcome Event is designed to introduce recent arrivals to the Twin Cities' synods who work or volunteer with children, youth, and family ministries. This event connects you with other people who are passionate about CYF ministries. The next welcome event will be held in Fall 2020.
- Recharge: Recharge is a one-day, multicultural, multi-denominational conference to inspire and equip church staff and their volunteers serving in children's, youth and family ministry. Recharge typically happens at the beginning of the year. The 2020 Recharge will be held Saturday, January 4. More details can be found at www.ministryrecharge.com.
- Synod Lunch at the Youth Ministry Extravaganza: Join other youth leaders from the Twin Cities for lunch and conversation during the national Youth Ministry Extravaganza. The 2020 lunch will be Saturday, February 1, in Anaheim, California.
- Do Justice Retreat: The Do Justice Retreat is a weekend event for youth and youth workers interested in engaging in thought and action on pressing social issues. The 2020 retreat is tentatively scheduled for January 19-20.
- Ascension Day Breakfast: Celebrate the year of ministry with worship and conversation with other passionate CYF workers and volunteers. The 2019 Ascension Day Breakfast was Thursday, May 9.
ELCA Youth Gathering
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Youth Gathering scheduled for Minneapolis has been postponed until July 24-28, 2022. Held every three years, the ELCA Youth Gathering attracts 30,000 high school youth from across the nation. Gathering for a week of faith formation through interactive learning, diverse worshiping experiences, Bible study, service learning, and fellowship, the young people who gather are witness to a powerfully transformative experience and are challenged to think in new ways about living their faith in their daily lives. Learn more.
Our synod's key leaders for the Youth Gathering:
- Sister Tashina Good from Shepherd of the Hills in Shoreview will serve as Synod Coordinator. She will serve as the primary point-of-contact for information, questions and advice for all things related to the gathering.
- The Rev. Karen Williams from Grace Lutheran Church in St. Paul will serve as Synod Day Director. She will lead the worship and programming planning for our Synod Day during the gathering.
The CYF Team keeps a list of up-to-date resources. These resources include books, movies, curriculum, retreat centers, camps, trips, continuing education, and other networks. Click here for the resource list. (PDF).
Have a question that the resource list can't answer? One of the CYF Team representatives from this synod can help!