2021 Guatemala Gala - Sunday, May 2
6:50 p.m. Pre-Gala Music | 7:00 p.m. Program
Click the above image to watch our 2021 Guatemala Gala on May 2! You can also watch on the synod's Facebook page, where you can interact with fellow viewers with comments, likes and shares. If you plan to watch on Facebook, be sure you follow the page and also click the arrow next to "Following" to turn on notifications to help ensure you receive news related to the Gala in the coming weeks.
Under the theme, "Partners in Education," Gala proceeds will support three important education ministries of the Iglesia Luterana Agustina de Guatemala (ILAG), the Lutheran Church in Guatemala:
- The second payment on the ELCA loan for the new elementary school building, along with additional needed renovations and the purchase of curricular and recreational materials. After the $33,000 payment is made to the ELCA, here are some ways the ILAG may use your gift to provide a life-changing elementary school education:- A gift of $2500 builds a classroom as part of the renovation on the first level of the school.
- A gift of $500 provides a playground with a path, basketball hoop, and soccer goals.
- A gift of $200 purchases one of 8 white boards needed in new classrooms.
- A gift of $100 buys one of 30 desks that will be used by additional students.
- A gift of $25 pays a one-month scholarship for one child in the elementary school.
- Educational scholarships for youth & adults in rural areas. A gift of $1,000 helps ILAG provide a one-year scholarship. Approximately 30 scholarship requests are received each year for studies at colleges and technical colleges Scholarships include not only tuition, but also transportation, housing, food and supplies.
- Training for church leaders in both theology & technology. ILAG has been able to provide its pastors with a tablet, which will allow for easier online training and communication to strengthen ministry. The ILAG may use your gift to purchase internet service or equipment for ongoing church leader training:
- A gift of $200 buys a printer for one village.
- A gift of $240 purchases internet service for a village for one year.
- A gift of $20 purchases internet service for a village for one month.
Why attend our online 2021 Gala?
- Hear hopeful updates from Pastor Karen Castillo, Diego Gil and others from the ILAG despite a turbulent year of pandemic and hurricanes.
- Discover the amazing progress made on renovations this past year at the Colegio Luterano Agustino de Guatemala (CLAG) elementary school.
- Learn about the gift of scholarships as Pastor Julio Lux tells his personal story of an ILAG scholarship, which allowed him to finish high school and become a pastor.
- Enjoy vocal music performed by the MILAGRO women as well as music by Jorge Hernández on marimba and Jose Reyes on guitar.
- Listen to messages from Bishop Patricia Lull and other synod leaders involved with our Guatemala partnership
The Rev. Mark Aune (Augustana, West St. Paul) and the Rev. Ali Ferin (St. Michael's, Roseville) will serve as emcees. Thank you in advance for your financial and/or prayer support for our Guatemalan sisters and brothers in the ILAG!
Make Your Own Authentic Guatemalan Meal!
Chef Amalia Moreno-Damgaard (Amalia-Latin Gourmet with a Cultural Flair) has been a steadfast supporter and contributor of the Guatemala Gala for many years. While we can't gather in person again this year, we are happy to provide you with a cooking video that features recipes from Amalia's cookbook, Amalia's Guatemalan Kitchen-Gourmet Cuisine with a Cultural Flair. The recipes include:
- Carne Asada con Chirmol (Orange and Onion-Marinated Flank Steak with Charred Tomato and Mint Salsa)
- Arroz Negro con Chile Pimiento (Black Rice with Chile Pimiento)
- Postre de Atol de Elote (Fresh Corn Pudding)
- Sangria a la Amalia (Red Wine and Citrus Punch)
This video comes from the Southeastern Synod out of Atlanta, Georgia, another ELCA synod that partners with the ILAG. We invite you to cook along with Chef Julie Belfield and prepare your own authentic Guatemalan meal to enjoy during the Guatemala Gala or any other time.
Click the button above to make your donation through PayPal. (If you already have an account, select "Donate with PayPal." If you want to donate without a PayPal account, select "Donate with a Debit or Credit Card.")
Or mail a check to:
Saint Paul Area Synod
P.O. Box 64689
St. Paul, MN 55164-0689
(in memo line, write 2021 Guatemala Gala)
While our goal is to raise money for the ILAG, we also know these are difficult economic times for many of us, so give as you are able. Your interest and prayerful support are welcome!
Join Our Newsletter List!
If you're not already receiving the Caminando Juntos newsletter from the Guatemala Committee of the Saint Paul Area Synod, click here to subscribe! Enter your contact information, and select the "Guatemala" email list.