This training will be held on Thursdays, April 15 & 22 - from 2:00-3:30 p.m.
With the great need we are seeing from ministries at the border with asylum-seekers entering the U.S. and needing accompaniment, ELCA AMMPARO is offering a two-part training for congregations interested in exploring congregational asylum-seeker sponsorship. To register, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Congregations are encouraged to gather the names of their own participants and send names and emails by April 11.
Here are criteria to consider to help determine if this could be feasible for your congregation:
- Approval of leadership of congregation to explore asylum-seeker sponsorship.
- Team of people committed to work together for a year or more to walk with the sponsored asylees. (Team size should be no less than 5-6 people and needs to include several people who can communicate in the asylee’s language.)
- Capacity to raise funds to cover costs for food, clothing, shelter, housing, medical care, legal fees, immigration case expenses, transportation and incidentals.
- Cross-cultural training and racial justice work has happened or is happening not only for the team but the congregation.
- Capacity to connect the asylees with legal services, either pro bono or paid.
Questions? Email Mary Campbell, AMMPARO Program Director, at email@example.com.