Following Jesus into a changing world requires a commitment to developing and modeling healthy boundaries in all areas of life. Boundary education is required for all rostered ministers in the Saint Paul Area Synod at least once every five years. You can meet this requirement by participating in one of three learning options. Choose one that meets your financial and time realities and learning goals.
2023 Boundary Trainings:
Book Group: The Integrity of the Body of Christ: Boundary Keeping as Shared Responsibility by Arden Mahlberg and Craig Nessan
August 10 and September 28, 2023 - 1-3 p.m. | Synod Office, St. Paul
- Hosted by Deacon Krista Lind
- Pre-reading and participation in both sessions are required for completion.
- Open only to pastors and deacons rostered in the Saint Paul Area Synod.
- Minimum of 6 registered participants needed.
- Cost: purchase book on your own
Registration Deadline: August 7
Boundary Workshop: Exploring Personal and Communal Boundaries
Thursday, Nov. 2, 2023 - 9 a.m.-3 p.m. | Augustana Lutheran Church, West St Paul
- Morning: foundational understandings of boundaries and power along with conversation on harassment, mandated reporting and self-care. Afternoon: a deep dive into implicit bias.
- Open to rostered ministers from any ELCA synod.
- Led by Deacon Krista Lind, Bishop Patricia Lull, and Anna Stamborski, Director of Strategic Partnerships, Faith & Prejudice
- Cost: $35 including lunch
Registration Deadline: October 27, 2023
Other Boundary Learning + 1 Hour Group Meeting with Bishop Lull
Part 1: There are a number of regional and national organizations that offer online boundaries training. Complete trainings prior to meeting with Bishop Lull.
- The Lewis Center
- United Lutheran Seminary
- Boundary workshops hosted by other ELCA synods (check their websites for the latest options)
Part 2: On December 12 at 12:30 p.m., meet via Zoom with Bishop Lull and other boundary learners to share what you have learned, hear what others have learned and talk about expectations for rostered leaders in the synod.
NOTE: Open only to pastors and deacons rostered in the Saint Paul Area Synod.
Submit certificate or other documentation of completion of the online course to firstname.lastname@example.org and attend the Zoom meeting to meet boundaries requirement.