The 2019 Saint Paul Area Synod Assembly was held May 17-18 at Saint Andrew's Lutheran Church in Mahtomedi. With the theme, "Both/And," participants explored The Great Commandment and The Great Commission through text studies led by the Rev. Dr. Mary Hinkle Shore.
The following 12 persons were elected to synod-wide roles:
- Synod Council - Peter Hanson, Mark Lichtenberger, Michael Collins and Deb Dahlberg
- Consultation Committee - Steve Egbert and Ruth Sorenson-Prokosch
- Discipline Committee - Susan Nelson, Janet Brahier and Marty Erickson
- 2019 Churchwide Assembly - Rachel Wermerskirchen, Bob Rygh and Elizabeth Wilder (ratified as voting members)
Voting delegates passed a resolution opposing conversion therapy and adopted the 2020 budget, anticipating $2,025,000 in mission support from congregations. Churchwide Representative Andrew Steele offered greetings and a report from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
This year featured a mission fair....14 updates and presentations by ministry partners with topics ranging from congregational vitality, campus ministry, global evangelism and advocacy to synod companion updates related to Tanzania and Guatemala. In addition, two dozen organizations staffed vendor displays throughout the assembly to share information about their programs and ministries.
Thanks to the efforts of a Worship Planning team, we enjoyed several opportunities to worship together with creative liturgies, remarkable music and joyous praise. An offering given in the amount of nearly $6,500 will fund camp and other learning experiences for youth and children from our ethnic specific congregations.
The assembly attendance included 351 voting members, 106 congregations and mission starts, 74 visitors and vendors and 10 advisors.
Videos Shown at the Synod Assembly
- Congregational Vitality - presented during the Report of Local Mission Strategy
- ELCA Bishop Eaton's Synod Assembly Video - presented during the Churchwide Representative's Report
- ELCA Annual Report - presented during the Churchwide Representative's Report
- Guardian Angels - part of the ELCA's AMMPARO Strategy
- Along the Green Line - presented during the Report of the Young Adult Initiative
- Celebrating Those Who Serve - presented by Portico Benefit Services
Reports/Presentations/Handouts from the Synod Assembly
- Resolution 2019-1 Opposing Conversion Therapy
- Report of Task Force on Paid Family Leave
- Global Mission St Paul Synod by Churchwide Representative Andrew Steele of the ELCA (mission fair presentation)
- Bishop Sermon - 2019 Synod Assembly by Bishop Patricia Lull during May 17 worship
- Sermon by The Rev. Dr. Mary Hinkle Shore during May 18 worship
- 2020 Budget and Narrative Budget
- Not a Number (child trafficking and exploitation prevention curriculum) - from Cherish All Children's mission fair presentation
- From AMMPARO/Guardian Angels mission fair presentation by Alicia Rodriguez: